Skip to main content
How to Import Batteries In India 1

How to Import Batteries In India

June 26, 2021

Import of Lithium-ion Batteries

Import of lithium-ion Batteries requires authorization from the concerned State Pollution Control Board/ Central Pollution Control Board & MoEF (Ministry of Environment & Forest).
An application complete in all respect along with documents can be submitted to the concerned pollution Board for authorization.
After Scrutinizing the documents by the Board, the board issues the authorization certificate in the name of the Unit.

How To Apply For Battery Import License

A battery is a common product that is used by every individual. In scientific terms, it is a device that consists of electrochemical cells with external connections for giving power to electrical appliances such as mobiles, flashlights etc. In common usage, a battery is a device used in households items for providing power to clocks, TV remotes, torch etc. Business units procure batteries for installing them in their manufactured products such as cars, mobiles, laptops etc.
There are different types of batteries. Each device requires a specific type of battery. Generally, batteries are divided into two categories – primary and secondary. Primary batteries are disposable batteries that are disposed of after one usage. Secondary batteries are rechargeable batteries and can be used by recharging them multiple times.
The license for import of batteries is issued by the concerned Central Pollution Control Board/State Pollution Control Board in India. The importers can obtain Battery Import Registration online from the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) through the Batteries Registration and Management System (BRMS) portal.

Online Procedure To Obtain Battery Import Registration

  • The applicant should go to the BRMS portal and then click on the ‘New Importer Registration’ button on the right-hand side of the page.
  • The ‘New Importer Registration Form’ will open. The applicant needs to fill up all the details in the form and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
  • The system will generate a user ID and password for the applicant to log in to the portal under the ‘Importers Login’ option present on the right-hand side of the page.
  • After submission of the online registration application, the applicant should submit the physical copy of the application on their letterhead along with the printouts of the filled Form II (Application for Registration) and Form III (Undertaking by Importer) and a self-attested copy of the Import Export Code (IEC) Certificate to the CPCB.
  • The complete application will be processed within seven days from receipt of the physical copy of the application.
  • After approval from the competent authority in charge and signature from the nodal officer, the printed Certificate of Registration will be sent through the post.
  • Certificate of Registration will be issued only on the corporate address or branch address specified on the IEC certificate.

Procedure For Renewal Of Battery Import Registration

  • The applicant should submit an application for renewal on the BRMS portal.
  • The applicant can submit the renewal application 45 days before the expiry of the validity period.
  • The issuance of the renewal of registration will be within seven days after verifying the importer’s half-yearly returns submitted on the BMRS portal or to CPCB.
  • The validity of the renewal application is for one year from the date of issuance.
  • The in-charge Hazardous Waste Management Division will grant the renewal of registration to the importers.

Documents Required For Battery Import Registration

  • PAN Card
  • IEC Certificate
  • Half Yearly Returns
  • BIS Certification
  • Industrial License, if any

Disclaimer: The materials provided herein are solely for information purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created when you access or use the site or the materials. The information presented on this site does not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied upon for such purposes or used as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.

Comments (5)

Leave a Reply

Hi... Need help? Click to Chat